I’m starting a project analyzing the usage of links and how they power blogs. To begin, I e-mailed one of my favorite websites, The Oatmeal. Why? I remember reading how he has the tendency to single-handedly crash entire website by simply linking to them in his posts. To be able to do that with one post is ridiculous.
That is what initially peaked my interest. Then I delved further into the topic. There are sites all over the internet dedicated to getting your blog linked to. There are several ways you can work to get your blog found.
- You can link to yourself through comments however, that is considered spamming and will eventually be removed. Also, links placed in comments are generally less efficient. (Unless you do something along the lines of pingbacks)
- You can buy your way in.
- If you have connections, work them. Have your friends plug your blog into their posts. The extra exposure as well as references will convince more viewers to actually click on your link.
This is just a precursor. I still have a lot more researching to do.
Here are a couple of places to check out if you’re also interested in raising your blog’s internet status.
- 25 Link Building Tactics to Improve Blog Search Engine Rankings
- Maybe links aren’t the way to go.
- The pingback method.
- The WordPress law on linking.
**The key is not to go link-crazy, otherwise your blog turns into an SEO blog which is a WordPress no-no.